Unilever Scientist, Applied Measurement Science in Trumbull, Connecticut
Background & Purpose of the Job
Unilever is one of the world leading suppliers of food and home and personal care products with consumers and employees from countries all over the globe. It is in the Fortune Global 500 with local operating units in almost 100 countries and sales in over 50 more, with worldwide sales of more than $50 billion and an R&D expenditure of over one billion dollars. See http://www.unilever.com
We have an associate scientist position in the Applied Measurement Science (AMS) team of the North American Beauty and Personal Care Technology Centre in Trumbull, Connecticut. The individual will provide technical and chemical support for raw material and finished product analysis and characterization through the design and utilization of chromatographic methods. They will have knowledge in separation science, particularly liquid and gas chromatography. They will have an awareness of instrument maintenance. The individual must have excellent communication skills, and the interpersonal skills to work within a fast-paced team environment that requires the ability to handle multiple demands. Background in analytical chemistry is required.
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
As part of the AMS team, we work with the formulation, processing, packaging, claims and specification teams from cross categories (Skin Care/Skin Cleansing/Hair/Deo) to develop and manufacturer new and innovative Beauty and Personal Care products. The individual will provide technical, formulation and processing science insight and support for the technical requests from the business, through the design and utilization of chromatographic methods
This position will require you to:
Run the chromatographic methods to support raw material and finished goods characterization.
Maintain the instrumentation in good working order, ensuring that they are operating correctly.
Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
Develop, modify and/or transfer methods to analyze a broad range of analytes in various sample matrices. Develop and transfer methods to Quality Assurance in support of Manufacturing needs.
Document data in a lab book and the LIMS adhering to the Unilever site quality system, generating LIMS reports where appropriate.
Present measurement findings at team meetings and project/technical reviews to both technical and non-technical audiences.
You’re a born leader:The AMS team is a cross functional analytical and physical chemistry team that supports the cross-category business from concept to implementation. This person needs to be driven, motivated and possess strong leadership and communication skills to deliver the work program and lead the problem-solving requests.
You’re a dot connector:Building strong relationships with all cross-functional teams is key to success in this role. Finding efficient and innovative ways of reaching the end goal with less resource, money and time requires all team members to function in unison. Communication in this fast paced environment is key.
You love to win, and have fun doing it:While providing support to cross-functional teams is a lot of work we like to have fun while doing it. We are proud to be a part of creating Unilever products that can benefit the consumer.
You’re a change maker:The AMS team are developing new ways of working on test and data management within Unilever. For this role, it is imperative that you think outside the box, identify areas for process improvements to drive speed and agility through leadership and team work. Youneed to apply an innovative approach to solve critical formulation and production problems that require rapid and informative solutions
What You’ll Need To Succeed
- M.S. degree in Analytical Chemistry with at least one year of industrial experience in method development, method validation and problem solving using chromatographic techniques or B.S. degree in Chemistry with at least three years industrial experience. Less experience may be considered if the applicant has the potential to grow into the position
- Analytical skills must include HPLC (preferably with UV, RI, ELSD detection techniques) and GC, sample preparation and clean up techniques (e.g. SPE, SPME, liquid-liquid extraction) and a familiarity of GPC, Ion Chromatography, and Mass Spectrometry. A working knowledge of chromatographic data systems (e.g. ChemStation, Empower) is desired.
- Knowledge of maintenance and calibration functions for analytical equipment is preferred.
- Experience with the analysis of cosmetics or personal care products is preferred.
- Previous experience in GLP and/or GMP environment is a plus.
- Communication skills, electronic, oral, and written, are essential, as well as the ability to work in teams and write technical reports to a technical and nontechnical audience
- Ability to quickly learn analytical instrumentation and data analysis, and recognize significance of unusual test results and initiates appropriate action
- Ability to independently work within a fast-paced team environment and handle multiple demands
What We Can Offer You
Culture for Growth|Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits|Every Voice Matters|Global Reach|Life at Unilever|Careers with Purpose|World Class Career Development Programs|Check Out Our Space|Focus On Sustainability
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please seeEEO is the Law
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
Primary Location: United States-Connecticut-Trumbull-Trumbull -40 Merritt Blvd
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Jan-05-2019
Req ID: 18000HF9