Unilever Principal Scientist, Product Development Manager Skincare in Trumbull, Connecticut
Background & Purpose of the Job
The Product Development Manager – Skin Care, will manage technical aspects of the Product Development Process in building the future funnel of Skin Care through integrated development processes with Third Party (3P) sourcing and external R&D laboratories. He/she operates with a highly entrepreneurial approach in driving all aspects of technical Innovation to deliver against business and consumer needs for high growth Skin Care Categories (Body Care and Face Care). The role plans, directs and supervises all technical operations associated with the curation of trends through development of innovative and novel products and formats. The qualified person will have extensive experience in working directly with external laboratories and 3Ps/ ODMs for development and manufacturing.
You’re a born leader:You have an eye for creativity and spotting novel ways of delivering benefits. You design and develop various Skin Care product formats that are on-trend through internal curation and external collaboration with third party manufacturers and laboratories. You have a strong personal interest, technical curiosity and related abilities and highly creative who can turn new insights and trends into product solutions.
You’re a dot connector:You promote an enduring change from non-value added short term Development activity to an appropriate balance between short, medium, long term and higher risk innovation activity.
You love to win, and have fun doing it:You have a strong passion for innovation and possess a highly entrepreneurial spirit.
You’re a story teller:You can create new concepts based on trends and insights that you gather and turn them into product stories and formats. You have the ability to communicate effectively our technologies to a wide range of audiences / formats with varying technical backgrounds. You can transform technical product attributes into meaningful visualizations and demos that make our technologies stand out vs. competitors
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
This position reports directly to the R&D Director – Category Design and CTI. As technology leader, you work with R&D, non-R&D functions and external partners (suppliers, 3P manufacturers, 3P laboratories) to establish and deliver against short and long-term targets for Business Team Development and Research efforts.
- Extensive experience working with ODMs – has established relationships with various global and regional 3P development labs.
- Extensive bench experience, skin care/personal care formulation experience (in order to help trouble shoot any issues with 3Ps that is needed)
- Strong project management experience
- Strong ability to think outside the box with creative problem solving skills
- We need someone that will learn the Unilever ways of working but is not afraid to challenge the system and push for faster and easier WOW when reasonable
- Someone that is not afraid to take risks (when appropriate)
- Working knowledge and fully operational in seeking diverse contributions, inputs, commitment from senior leadership; gains alignment at the senior leadership level
- Develop short and long-term technology strategy and implement accordingly
- Identifies, exploits and develops internal and externally sourced technologies across Skin Care and related categories
- Takes emerging changes and threats in the market into account and responds to them effectively
- Consumer and Customer Focus
- Defines project resource requirements which support a project’s goals with respect to time, budget and quality with detailed direction from business, functional or project managers
- Plans, and organizes the execution of laboratory programs; defines scope and critical elements of the projects and selects approaches to be taken
- Functions as advisor on projects and tasks assigned to the group where work is checked through consultation and agreement with others rather than formal review with management; consults with management on unusual problems or developments
- Works effectively in technical sourcing, both with 3PMs and Unilever factories as necessary.
- Ensures the support of product claims and risk management as appropriate to projects
- Proactively ensures appropriate implementation of Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) protection across project/scientific/technical environments
- Fully operational in strategic influencing skills across multiple platforms/categories, functions
- Fully operational on shaping projects, ways of working and R&D operations
What You’ll Need To Succeed
- Science or Engineering Graduate
- 10 Years of experience in technical management, preferably development and/or research in the consumers package goods industry.
- 7 years of experience with external R&D laboratories, OEM/ODMs and 3P manufacturing
Required Competencies and Skills:
- Science, Technology, Innovation Expertise
- Project and Portfolio Management
- Supervisory, mentoring and development of direct report(s)
- Consumer and Customer Focus
- Brand Equity Management
What We Can Offer You
Culture for Growth | Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits | Every Voice Matters | Global Reach | Life at Unilever | Careers with Purpose | World Class Career Development Programs | Check Out Our Space | Focus On Sustainability
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
Primary Location: United States-Connecticut-Trumbull-Trumbull -40 Merritt Blvd
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Req ID: 18000FKW