Unilever Senior Manager, Analytics Data Scientist – US in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
For Unilever to remain competitive in the future, the business needs to continue its path to become data intelligent. The Information and Analytics team is responsible for building data, data science and analytics as a core capability to help the business become data intelligent and drive business and organization performance. The team will deliver advanced products at scale and work closely with the market teams to ensure that decisions in Unilever are augmented with insight & recommendations wherever possible.
There are five major themes to the Information and Analytics strategy:
· Deliver Intelligent systems at scale. Powering Business and Customer Development area through data and analytics. Building out the right applications to enable business teams to move faster, with more accurate and future looking decisions leveraging Big Data & Data Science
· Winning disproportionately in Markets. We believe that the best way to move the needle for Unilever in Analytics is to work with leading geographies to create analytics products that make a significant impact on our business
· Drive Unilever to assisted and predictive decision-making. The future is about assisted decision-making with machines (AI/Cognitive Computing/Machine Learning) unlocking the insights from vast deluge of consumer, customer & internal data, and presenting this in a way that is simple for our teams.
· Make data a true asset. Better data and data science access for every part of Unilever, across the 3 data framework (Connectivity, Growth, Continuous Improvement) and leading through the Enterprise Data Executive.
· World-class Information: One Version of the Facts. Continued excellence in delivery of diagnostics and insights to focus attention when and where it matters with a focus on Big Bets, Strategic Initiatives and Leadership team reporting
This is an exciting new role leading Data Science within the North America Cluster in Information & Analytics (I&A), which is tasked to deliver maximum value from data to drive business and organization performance.
The Data Scientist will work with the I&A cluster to transform the N.A. business into a more data-driven organization. The Data Scientist will collaborate with N.A. business leaders, I&A Business Analysts and the global Centre of Excellence, to solve market-specific problems with optimal data science algorithms, and to ensure the market takes full advantage of global data science capabilities.
Main Purpose of the Job:
The role has four main accountabilities:
• Works with N.A. business leaders and I&A cluster Business Analysts to understand business problems and solves them using relevant algorithms that lead to improved decisions.
• Works with CoE data scientists and product owners to ensure global data science products serve the needs of the N.A. market. Also shares local innovation with the CoE.
• Presents the output of data science (insights, predictions and recommendations, products) to business leaders.
• Manages one or more Data Scientists.
An initial focus of this role will be on configuring data-science and algorithmic solutions that power I&A’s portfolio of cross-functional (LiveWire / Jarvis) products, to suit the needs of the US market - balancing efficient use of the core product with the specific functionality required for relevance to US business units. Further ahead, activities will be a mix of deploying additional global products, and running local projects identified with the US business.
• Apply data science algorithms to optimally answer N.A. business questions, generating predictive and prescriptive outputs, and presenting these in a clear and actionable way.
• Understand how local decision processes differ from global standards (including different input data or constraints); plan how the configuration of global products (e.g. Jarvis) must change to accommodate this and work with CoE team to ensure this is effectively built into the local deployment.
• The position will be an individual contributor and manager role working closely with the North America Head of Data and Analytics. There will be 1 or more Unilever FTEs reporting into this role, and there may be third party contractors this role is accountable for (Fractal, or other potential local companies).
Experience and qualifications required:
Standards of Leadership Required in This Role:
• Personal Mastery (Data-science and advanced analytics)
• Passion for High Performance
• Analytics Modelling and Techniques
• Analytic Platforms
• Data Exploitation
• Platform Technology
• Data Visualization
• Change Management
• Project Management
Strong communication skills and ability to work with peers and demonstrate vertical and lateral influence.
• B.S. or M.S. in a relevant technical field (Operations Research, Computer Science, Statistics, Business Analytics, Econometrics, or Mathematics). Overall experience of 8-10 years preferred
• 3-5 years of experience working in a fast-moving consumer goods company and/or data – analytic supplier (e.g. Nielsen, IRI, or other related companies)
• Strong track record in solving analytical problems using quantitative and machine learning approaches
• Deep experience in common machine learning techniques such as Random Forests, Boosting, Regularized Regression, Naïve Bayes Classifiers
• Working knowledge of advanced machine learning such as Deep Neural Networks, Support vector machines, Reinforcement learning and Bayesian networks
• Working knowledge in classical statistics (Regression, Clustering, Optimization, Time Series, Probability)
• Deep experience in testing and measurement (A/B, multivariate, inferential measurement e.g. CausalImpact)
• Deep experience working with and coding in R, R Shiny, Python
• Working knowledge of data visualization concepts in reports (Tableau, Power BI) and specialist tools (D3 or equivalent)
• Fluency extracting and combining complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from multiple sources (enterprise, proprietary, IoT, public domain), including unstructured data (comment threads, audio, video)
• Working knowledge working with large data sets, experience working with distributed computing tools a plus (Apache Spark, Hive, Impala)
• Working knowledge working in Microsoft Azure and scaling analytic products over GPUs in the cloud
• Ability to communicate complex quantitative insights in a precise, and actionable manner to senior business stakeholders
• Experience managing the work of internal and external resources including remote locations
• I&A (LiveWire) Global Product Owner
• I&A in-market business analysts
• I&A in-market data scientists
• I&A in-market data experts
• I&A Operations located in Bangalore
• Global business topic Subject Matter Experts
• Analytics and Data Science product peers
• Partner Analytics and Data Science Contractors
• Targeted Universities for developing innovations
What We Can Offer You
Culture for Growth | Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits | Every Voice Matters | Global Reach | Life at Unilever | Careers with Purpose | World Class Career Development Programs | Check Out Our Space | Focus On Sustainability
By applying for this vacancy, you are confirming that you have made your Line Manager aware of your application and that you are at a point in your career with Unilever where it is appropriate for you to be applying for other positions.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
Job: Information and Analytics
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Englewood Cliffs-Englewood Cliffs -700 Sylvan
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Req ID: 180006N5